Sign in to follow this  
Sailorbloom

Camp Nanowrimo

Has anyone done this before? How is it different from regular Nanowrimo? I'm trying to decide if I want to do it or not, but it sounds more freeform than maybe I'm looking for. 

"Camp NaNoWriMo is a virtual writer’s retreat, designed for maximum flexibility and creativity. We have Camp sessions in both April and July, and we welcome word-count goals between 30 and 1,000,000. In addition, writers can tackle any project they’d like, including new novel drafts, revision, poetry, scripts, and short stories."

I've done it a few times and am currently participating this April. 

I prefer Camp to regular NaNoWriMo because it's more flexible. My goal for this month is 25,000 words and I can write whatever I feel like as long as I hit my personal word count for the day. The biggest downside is that participation is much lower. I tried hosting write-ins for Camp a few years ago, and it didn't pan out- 3 out of the 4 write-ins I hosted had no attendees except me. 

Regular NaNo is better for the community aspect. But even that is not perfect. I've had a handful of run-ins with snobs who tell me I'm cheating for not writing a novel or doing a lower word count, or try to pick apart my story when I'm just there to get it down on the page. 

• Like 1

Thanks for the input! I can see how less people would be involved. I've actually never heard of it until now. I think it might be a good launching point for getting into writing again. 

And gross - I hate snobs. They're everywhere. There's always someone ready and willing to be holier-than-thou