Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
TheRealLindsey

Food in Fiction

Recommended Posts

I am a BIG FAN of detailed food description in books. When authors gloss over meals, especially in non-modern, non-earth stories, I always wonder about what people eat. One of my favorite authors who writes about food in a delicious way is Brian Jacques in his Redwall series. Other suggestions? :) 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I can say that I've spent a larger than average amount of time trying to imagine what klah tastes like in Anne McAffrey's Dragon Riders of Pern books! It's supposed to be like a coffee drink, but different. In her book Dinosaur Planet I was equally fascinated by a chemist/biologist on the team whose job it was to cook food using ingredients found on alien planets. That idea has really stuck with me, and made me wonder how you make something so, well, alien palatable for the human tongue :P

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/17/2018 at 6:06 PM, TheRealLindsey said:

I am a BIG FAN of detailed food description in books. When authors gloss over meals, especially in non-modern, non-earth stories, I always wonder about what people eat. One of my favorite authors who writes about food in a delicious way is Brian Jacques in his Redwall series. Other suggestions? :) 

I would never have thought of this off the top of my head, but you are SO right about the Redwall series! Brian Jacques used to make me so hungry for scones with clotted cream, and I had never eaten them in my life.

Not sure if this was in the book, but the chocolate cake in the Matilda movie still makes me salivate. Even if the end result is awful.

 

 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, Sailorbloom said:

I can say that I've spent a larger than average amount of time trying to imagine what klah tastes like in Anne McAffrey's Dragon Riders of Pern books! It's supposed to be like a coffee drink, but different. In her book Dinosaur Planet I was equally fascinated by a chemist/biologist on the team whose job it was to cook food using ingredients found on alien planets. That idea has really stuck with me, and made me wonder how you make something so, well, alien palatable for the human tongue :P

If an author can make you interested in alien/non-existent food, they've won points in my book!

I want that chemist's job!

I feel like a lot of scifi moves towards energy-dense/utilitarian food that does not sound appetizing at all.

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/19/2018 at 1:14 PM, Lynn Vandermeer said:

I would never have thought of this off the top of my head, but you are SO right about the Redwall series! Brian Jacques used to make me so hungry for scones with clotted cream, and I had never eaten them in my life.

Not sure if this was in the book, but the chocolate cake in the Matilda movie still makes me salivate. Even if the end result is awful.

 

 

 

YES!!! I had forgotten about that chocolate cake. For real, that had me drooling too. I used to read Matlida every single night for awhile. It was sort of a comfort routine. I would skim to my fave parts, then skim to the end. I think I did that for a solid couple months in the 3rd/4th grade (can't quite remember which)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

On 1/19/2018 at 1:14 PM, Lynn Vandermeer said:

I would never have thought of this off the top of my head, but you are SO right about the Redwall series! Brian Jacques used to make me so hungry for scones with clotted cream, and I had never eaten them in my life.

Not sure if this was in the book, but the chocolate cake in the Matilda movie still makes me salivate. Even if the end result is awful.

 

 

 

 So Much this! I freakin' ADORED those books. Triss was one of my favorites. Was it dandelion wine they drink? I swear this was my first introduction to the desire for alcohol, LOL :P 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

© 2017 F-BOM

Company Information:

F-BOM Story
F-BOM Vision






POWERED BY INVISION COMMUNITY


Contact Us:
 
Support: info@f-bom.com 
Submissions: submissions@f-bom.com 

F-BOM
PO Box 18664
West Saint Paul, MN 55118



The F-BOM Blog: Her Story Arc
Her Story Arc